The Cookiebot CMP solution utilizes a ‘Content Delivery Network’ (CDN*) to ensure the fastest possible response on requests to load our banner and consent service.
*A CDN is a limited network of servers hosting static files mirrored on servers around the world, to ensure the shortest possible distance between your visitors and the server providing these files. This has a big impact on loading times of these files.
Cookiebot uses Akamai, a US based company, as our CDN sub service provider. We do not use the CDN to store or process personal data. However, the way the Internet works, it cannot be avoided that Akamai will receive and log certain information about the Internet connection, including end user IP addresses. We are therefore also offering a strictly European based version of the Cookiebot CMP.
How can I switch to the EU solution?
Using the Cookiebot script:
You can start using our EU based solution today by simply changing the domain in the Cookiebot script on your websites:
- Replace ".com" with ".eu" in the src attribute on your Cookiebot script tag:
- If you are using our Cookie Declaration, the same change is needed for that script.
Replace ".com" with ".eu" in the src attribute on your CookieDeclaration script tag:
Using Google Tag Manager:
Changing your GTM tag to use the European CDN requires 2 small updates.
Update the Cookiebot CMP Template
- Open the “Templates” tab
- Select your Cookiebot CMP template
- In the “template editor”, select the “code” tab
- Update the scriptUrl variable; change the domain from "cookiebot.com" to "cookiebot.eu"
- Select the “Permissions” tab
- Open “inject scripts”
- Change “https://*.cookiebot.com/“ to “https://*.cookiebot.eu”
- Save the template
And that's it, you are now using a strictly European based version of the Cookiebot CMP, with no possibility of IP addresses being logged in any third countries. Consent given by your previous visitors is still valid and working on the new solution.
Anything I should know beforehand?
Yes, as this is an early roll out, there are a few things we need to let you know:
- Our WordPress plugin has yet to be updated. It will be in the near future, however currently the solution is only available to those loading our Cookiebot script directly in the source code or with the above described GTM workaround.
- Bulk consent provided on the old solution will not carry over and will not work on the new solution. New bulk consents will work once submitted by the visitors, however all domains covered by the consent should be on the same solution.
- Our geo targeting granularity currently does not allow for CCPA banners to only be shown to California based visitors at this point in time. To ensure the best level of compliance, US based visitors will be seen as California based and will be shown the CCPA banner, if it is enabled.
- Akamai is unrivalled when it comes to performance. The use of our EU solution must be a conscious choice on your part of compliance over performance.
That said, please do give it a try and feel free to get back to us with your thoughts and feedback. Any input would be much appreciated and help us improve our solution even further.