Why and when should I renew the existing user consents?
In the following situations it could be useful to renew your existing user consents:
- If you have changed the information in your cookie consent banner (for example updated information about who the data controller is, added contact info for a new Data Protection Officer, described a new way your users can withdraw their consent etc.)
- If you decide to change the cookie consent banner - for example because the way you process personal user data now demands an explicit consent instead of an active consent
- If you have previously used a configuration for the cookie consent banner that might not be valid under GDPR after 25 May 2018. You can change the banner configuration and then renew the consents afterwards
Please see Ready for 25 May 2018 (GDPR enforcement date)? A Cookiebot checklist. especially points 2-5 for an overview related to GDPR and What type of cookie consent banner should I use (to be GDPR compliant)? Then check your current configuration and the wording on your cookie consent banner. Make any changes if necessary and then renew the user consents. The disturbance to your users is minimal (see below).
What will happen if I renew the existing user consents?
If you decide to renew your user consents (see below for how to do it), then the next time a returning user comes to your website, the cookie consent banner will appear and the user will be asked for a consent.
Please note that this is the same thing that happens automatically after 12 months when a user consent expires. The cookie consent banner re-appears and the user is asked for a consent again. The only difference is, that now you can decide when to renew the user consents and you do not have to wait for them to automatically expire.
Please also note that the cookie consent banner will be shown as normally with the current settings to all new users who visit your website. This is not affected by the renewal of user consents for the returning visitors.
How is it done?
If you would like to renew your user consents, here is how to do it:
1. Log in to your account: Cookiebot CMP Manager
2. Go to the menu point 'User consents'
3. Choose the domain group that you would like to renew the consents for (if you have multiple domain groups)
4. At the bottom of the page, you will find instructions and a button saying 'Renew now'
5. Press 'Renew now'
6. On the confirmation message that appears, click 'Ok' if you would like to proceed
7. Please note that it may take up to 1 hour before the cookie consent banner starts re-appearing for your returning users. For all new users to your website, the cookie consent banner will be displayed as usually. You will see the following:
8. Repeat steps 3 to 7 if you have other domain groups where you would like to renew the user consents
What happens to my existing user consents - are they deleted from the consent log?
Please sign in to leave a comment.