Eager to get started with Cookiebot CMP?
You have come to the right place! In a few easy steps we will help you get Cookiebot CMP installed on your website and set up for your compliance needs.
Watch the step-by-step video below or the written instructions below the video.
Step 1: Add your domain
You should already have your Cookiebot CMP account created. If not, go here: Create account
Otherwise start by logging in to your Cookiebot CMP account: Login
- Open "Settings" → "Domains" in your Cookiebot account
- Click the green button and add your domain names without http:// or https://
- Click the "save" button
A scan of the website will start immediately and should complete within 24 hours.
The scan report will be delivered to you via email and can be found in the "Reports" section of the Manager. Additionally, you can find an overview of all cookies detected in the "Cookies" section of the Manager.
Step 2: Design your cookie banner and Privacy Trigger
- Open "Settings" → "Dialog" and choose your cookie consent banner set up
- Under "Settings" → “Privacy trigger” you can configure your Privacy Trigger appearance
- Go to “Settings”→ “Content” to edit the default banner and Privacy Trigger text, so it fits your website and legal requirements
The default banner and Privacy Trigger are configured with the strictest settings possible
(suitable for cookie consent under GDPR and ePR).
Step 3: Install Cookiebot CMP on your website
There are a few ways to install Cookiebot CMP on your website. If you use WordPress you might want to consider our WordPress Plugin for easy implementation. If you are already using Google Tag Manager on your website, adding the Cookiebot CMP tag from GTM is an easy way to add our solution.
If you want to insert our Cookiebot Script directly into your website, you can do the following:
- Go to “Settings” → “Your scripts”
Add the Cookie consent banner and Privacy Trigger - Copy the top script and insert it as the very first script within the HEAD-tag of your website.
Inserting it as the very first script ensures that no cookies or trackers escape our automatic cookie blocking. This script will guarantee that the banner is shown for consent collection and the Privacy trigger is shown for consent changes and withdrawal.
Example (with automatic cookie blocking):
<html> <head> <script
></script> </head> <body> ... </body> </html>
*The standard Cookie Declaration lists all cookies and trackers discovered on your website and allows the user also to withdraw (or change) a consent at any time – as required under e.g. GDPR.
<html> ... <body> <h1>Cookie Declaration</h1> <script
></script> </body> </html>
Step 4: Check your scan reports
Each month, when the website scan is complete, the scan report is automatically delivered to your inbox. If there are any unclassified cookies, make sure to classify them and add a short purpose description. This classification helps ensure that all cookies and trackers on your website (except for ‘strictly necessary’ cookies) will automatically be blocked until a user has given consent.
More interesting stuff for you:
- Getting started - the extended version
- Can I use manual cookie blocking?
- How do I use domain groups
- How does Cookiebot CMP log user consent?
- Can I build my own fully customized cookie consent banner?
- Using Cookiebot CMP for GDPR compliance
- Using Cookiebot for CCPA compliance
If you have any questions or run into difficulties, let us know and we will be happy to help you out!