- How does the widget work
- How to enable/disable the widget
- How to change the position of the widget
- How to change the colors of the widget
- Override widget configuration
The Cookiebot CMP widget functions as a shortcut to the users' consent state information on your website. Showing a mini version of the cookie banner, it enables users to easily check or update their consent. This is in line with demands for more transparency and providing users control of their own data, as is required by various privacy legislations such as GDPR.
Key features of the widget include:
- Easier and more intuitive consent
- Seamless integration with our Swift banner design
- Customizable colors, text, and position
- Full mobile responsiveness
- WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) compliance.
How does the widget work
Your website users will encounter the cookie banner upon first visiting the website (or every time consent renewal is needed). After providing a consent state via the cookie banner, the widget will appear as a small Cookiebot CMP icon. This icon will be present on all pages of your website in a placement of your own choice. Your website users will at any time be able to click this icon, effectively opening a small window that contains the following information;
- Current consent state divided per cookie category:
√ Necessary (always enabled)
- Date and time of when the current valid consent has been given
- Consent ID (an anonymous, random and encrypted key value, used for proof of consent)
- Option to withdraw consent (only necessary cookies will be allowed from then)
- Option to change consent (recalling the cookie banner)
How to enable/disable the widget
The widget is not enabled by default on existing domain groups, but activating this is as easy as checking a box in your domain group configuration:
- Open your Cookiebot CMP manager
- Navigate to "Settings" and "Widget"
- Tick the checkbox
- Save your settings
How to change the position of the widget
Find the ideal layout and position of your widget, by using our built-in configuration options. Place the widget in one of the 4 corners of your website and configure the distance. Remember to save the new settings.
How to change the colors of the widget
You can choose between 2 standard themes (dark or white) or customize a color pattern of your own liking, using a custom theme.
When implementing custom colors, it's a good idea to keep the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines about color contrast in mind. Creating a color combination with too low contrast for example, might create an issue with accessibility on your website.
Override widget configuration
The widget supports a number of script attributes which allows you to customize the placement and distance settings for each individual domain, effectively overriding the domain group settings.
1. Is it mandatory to enable the widget on my website according to GDPR?Article 7(3) GDPR states that your website visitors should have the right to withdraw consent at any time and this withdrawal should be just as easy as it was to give consent in the first place. The widget allows you to offer this possibility with minimal effort, offering a plug 'n play solution that can be enabled easily by checking the "activate widget" box on your Cookiebot CMP account.
2. Will there be a CCPA version of the widget?
The CCPA version of the widget is still in development and will be released at a later time. This will include the extra "do not sell my personal information" option. You can find more information on CCPA here: California Consumer Privacy Act and How to set up your CCPA configuration.
3. Do I still need the cookie declaration on my website, if I activate the widget?
The widget can replace the cookie declaration as a means of complying with these key parts of GDPR art. 7(3): "The data subject shall have the right to withdraw his or her consent at any time" and "It shall be as easy to withdraw as to give consent."
4. Why is the date and consent key hidden?
To check the exact date and time and consent ID of the provided consent, you can click the "show details" link in the widget. These have been hidden behind a link in order not to clutter the users' view of the current consent state.
5. Mobile design: can we make the widget smaller?
The size on mobile is full width, but only takes up the screen size it needs to show the content in its height. On older phones with smaller screens, this might end up in taking up the whole screen and your users having to scroll within. We can not really make it any smaller than it already is, because of usability.
6. Why is the preview not available in the manager?
The preview is not enabled for the widget at this time, but will be enabled with a future release.
7. Why is it not possible to change consent from within the widget?
In order to change an original consent state, users are presented with the cookie banner again, which provides the full overview of cookies and trackers in use. As users should be able to make a fully informed consent choice every time, the full cookie banner will re-appear upon clicking the "change consent" button in the widget.
8. Is the widget available for Free plans?
Yes, the widget is also included in our Free plans, although customization options are only available in Premium accounts.
9. Will the widget automatically be enabled for new domains groups?
The widget will not be enabled automatically on existing domain groups. It will however be enabled by default on newly created domain groups. Disabling the widget again can easily be done: How to enable/disable the widget.
10. Can I remove the Cookiebot CMP branding from the widget?
It is not possible to hide the Cookiebot CMP branding via your account' settings, but you can use CSS overrides in order to accomplish this. See also the Swift banner guide on how to do this: Remove Cookiebot CMP branding from Swift banner.
11. What Content Security Policy (CSP) directives are required to enable the widget?
We retrieve the configuration for the widget using XMLHttpRequests to https://consentcdn.cookiebot.com/, so you'll need to allow
https://consentcdn.cookiebot.com. Please see our article on Cookiebot and CSP for more information.
If you have any questions regarding the widget or are otherwise in need of assistance; feel free to reach out to our support team.