1. What is included in the Cookie Declaration?
The Cookie Declaration contains the following elements (see illustration below):
2. If you have enabled bulk consent, information about the domains that the user’s consent is valid for is automatically included (this text cannot be edited)
3. The user can see his current consent (what categories of cookies consent has been given for), change his consent or completely withdraw his consent. If the user clicks ‘change your consent’ or ‘withdraw your consent’ the cookie consent banner will re-appear.
4. Information about when the Cookie Declaration was last updated. This date is automatically updated when a scan has been performed on the website.
5. A list of all the cookies and trackers in use on the website – categorized in Necessary, Preferences, Statistics and Marketing - along with purpose descriptions and additional information. This information is automatically drawn from the latest scan report for your website and is automatically updated with each new scan.
2. Can I customize the Cookie Declaration?
The Cookie Declaration will automatically adopt the styling on your website (from your website’s general stylesheet). If you would like to style it further, you can use the CSS !important rule in your website’s own stylesheet.
If you do not wish to include the introduction text, you can deselect it from the backend Manager:
- Log in to your account https://manage.cookiebot.com/goto/login
- Go to the menu point ‘Settings’ and the tab ‘Declaration’
- Un-tick the checkbox at the bottom
- Save your settings (tick-mark on the left-hand side blue panel)
You can also edit the introduction text. This is accessible from the tab 'Content' (see below). There is guide for how to customize text, which is also useful for changing the introduction text. Please see How can I customize the content in the cookie consent banner? The Cookie Declaration will be displayed in the same language(s) as you have chosen for the cookie consent banner. You can see what languages are available here: What languages are available for the cookie consent banner?
Make a custom cookie declaration:
You can also choose to make your own custom Cookie Declaration using XSLT (premium subscription only).
For this, a custom template is available. This contains XSLT as well as XML data nodes (available from the small grey question mark on the right-hand side).
Please remember to include all the needed elements including the consent panel where the user can change or withdraw consent.
To include the default consent panel, insert the following div at the position where you want to display the panel:
3. I have a free subscription. When I look at the tab ‘Declaration’ on my Cookiebot account it says ‘this feature is only available with premium subscription’. Do I not have access to the Cookie Declaration?
The standard Cookie Declaration is available to both free and premium subscriptions. The script for it can be found on the tab ‘Your scripts’ (it’s the second of the 2 scripts). It is implemented as described in the second part of step 3 in our general 3-step installation guide or following the instructions in the other implementation guides available.
What you can see under ‘Declaration’ is the possibility to make a custom Cookie Declaration using XSLT. This is available with a premium subscription only.
4. How do I implement the Cookie Declaration?
For general implementation of the Cookie Declaration, please see the second part of step 3 of our general installation guide. https://www.cookiebot.com/goto/help
Other Cookiebot implementation guides that include instructions on how to implement the Cookie Declaration: