- How does Bulk Consent work?
- Does Bulk Consent work for all website users?
- Activating Bulk Consent
- How do I ensure users understand they are giving their consent for multiple websites?
- Is Bulk Consent included in the Free Plan?
- Does Bulk Consent work on domain aliases?
- Removing consent in bulk
- Check whether bulk consent works
If you operate multiple websites from different domains or your website operates from several subdomains, Cookiebot CMP can ask your website visitors for a consent that covers all your domains. We refer to this as a Bulk Consent.
By default, your users will be asked for consent on each of your domains. By enabling the Bulk Consent feature however, your users will only be prompted for a consent the first time they visit any one of your websites (and again when consent needs to be renewed).
How does Bulk Consent work?
When Bulk Consent is enabled, a local storage cookie named CookieConsentBulkSetting-# is set to keep track of users' changes and renewal of bulk consent across domains. This cookie is set as a third party Local Storage item and contains an array of domains within the domain group. Upon visit to one of these domains, the entry is popped from the array and the consent settings from the domain where the user submitted consent are applied to the domain.
Note that if Bulk Consent is activated, this means that the user will see all cookies in use – from across all your websites – in the cookie consent banner and the Cookie Declaration on each of the websites. All identified cookies and trackers from all the domains and subdomains which the Bulk Consent is valid for, will automatically be pooled together.
Does Bulk Consent work for all website users?
In order for the Bulk Consent to function properly, these following three conditions must be met:
- The user allows third party local storage in their browser settings. Note that browsers Safari and Firefox are known not to allow 3rd party cookies.
- The user has not activated “Do Not Track (DNT)” in their browser settings
- The user accepts cookies in the 'Preferences' category. The bulk consent local storage item is classified as a preference cookie, so if this category isn't accepted, bulk consent doesn't carry over.
Activating Bulk Consent
Activating Bulk Consent is as easy as ticking a checkbox in your domain group configuration:
1. Log in to your account: https://manage.cookiebot.com/goto/manage
2. Go to ‘Settings’ from the top menu
3. From the drop-down menu just below the top menu, choose the domain group for which you wish to enable the Bulk Consent.
4. Click the tab ‘Domains
5. At the bottom, click the tick-box named ‘Enable bulk consent for all domains’
6. Save your settings by clicking the tick mark on the left-hand side in the blue bar.
Please note that the Bulk Consent will then be in place for all the domains and subdomains listed in that particular domain group, but it will not affect any domains you may have listed in other domain groups on your account.
Is Bulk consent included in the Free plan?
Does Bulk Consent work on domain aliases?
Bulk Consent only works for domains added to the domain list in a domain group, but will not work on any aliases added to the domain group. Since domain aliases aren't included in the array in the cookie set for Bulk Consent, consent won't be carried over to the domain alias.
Removing consent in bulk
Changes to the Bulk Consent local storage item (which is the one carrying the consent across your domains), can only be done if at least the 'Preferences' category is accepted.
Let's say you have two domains, Domain A and Domain B, both under the same domain group with Bulk Consent enabled.
If you go to Domain A and accept all cookies, then go to Domain B and withdraw all cookies and go back to Domain A, you will see that the new consent (full opt-out) made on Domain B has not carried over. This is because the 'Preferences' category was not accepted on the visit to Domain B and we are therefore not able to overwrite the existing Bulk Consent local storage item.
So while your visitors can opt-in to cookies across your domains in bulk, they will have to opt-out on each individual website in your domain group.
Check whether bulk consent works
Reproduce the following steps to check whether Bulk Consent is working: