On September 10th 2019 Cybot introduced Automatic cookie blocking as a new feature and part of the core functionality in the cookie consent management solution Cookiebot. This article covers the most common questions regarding this new and improved approach to handling Cookies and ensuring Prior Consent on websites.
I already have Cookiebot on my website. How do I switch from manual to automatic cookie blocking mode?
How does it work?
See our help center article: How does it work?
How long does it take to implement?
Once you've added your domain to the Cookiebot Manager it will take up to 24 hours for the first scan and analysis of your website to complete. When you add the Cookiebot script to your website, a number of predefined known cookies will be blocked right away until prior consent has been obtained. The rest of your cookies will be controlled by Cookiebot as soon as the scan has completed.
Changes to Categorization of cookies in the manager may take up to two minutes to propagate to your website.
How can I see that it is working?
Here is a guide to how you can see the banner in action, in your browser: How can I tell if the banner is working?
What if it's not working? --> Troubleshooting:
Why are Cookies still being set?
1) Check your script: Make sure that you are using the automated blocking mode (Check your script and blocking mode)
2) Wait 24 hours: When you first sign up for Cookiebot and implement our services on your website it may take up to 24 hours for our scans to complete and for all cookies to be under the control of the automatic cookie blocker. We will be able to block a large amount of cookies as soon as our script is on your site, but for full coverage an initial scan and analysis of your website is required. This will happen automatically within the first 24 hours.
3) My scan report says "Prior consent enabled: no": The very first scan of your website will be used to analyze your cookies and apply our algorithms to make sure all cookies are held back, except for those that are strictly necessary, until prior consent has been obtained. Your first scan report will reflect the state of your website before this analysis has been completed. It is a reflection of the state of your website before full coverage was created by the scan. When you receive the report, the analysis will have completed and you will have full coverage. Your next report, created upon completion of your next scan, will show the state of your website with automatic cookie blocking fully implemented.
4) When I try your compliance test, it says "Not compliant": Please make sure you wait at least 24 hours from signing up and implementing until you use to compliance test to scan your website.
5) I have implemented in automatic cookie blocking mode and waited 24 hours, but some cookies are still not blocked: Please make sure that you have inserted the Cookiebot script at the very top of your website, as the very first element inside your <head>-element.
Also make sure that your Cookiebot script does not contain the text "async" in the script tag.